UPDATE day 6 admit: rollercoaster ride continues

They planned to release me to home yesterday, but, apparently, they have decided to do one more procedure. I ate my breakfast with the plan that I would be going home today. As I was drinking my coffee, my nurse today came in and told me that I was now NPO (nothing by mouth) because I was to go for another procedure and, therefore, not going home today.

Apparently, that pocket of pus or whatever it is, as detected by CT scan, that is blocked off in my lung is causing my medical teams to rethink what they should do to rule out every last issue that might be causing my fevers and elusive infection. They have decided to insert a tube into that blocked-off area to try to extract something to test. This, presumably, will indicate whether that is the site of the mystery infection and cause of my fevers. If it is not, the diagnosis will be that the fevers are from the cancer tumors. Treatment for cancer fevers are simply treatment for the cancer.

The resident from the medical team has told me that I will have the procedure not today but tomorrow, so today I am able to eat until tonight as NPO is for eight hours before procedure. Today, I will be eating and, as often as possible, walking, and otherwise doing nothing more than biding my time until tomorrow. When they first told me I was not going home, I was very disappointed and even upset. Naturally, as I got used to the idea, it made more sense to me to try to exhaust every diagnostic procedure and then follow-up treatment to uncover a cause of my fevers. To go home and then have a problem again and return would be more of a hassle than staying here a bit longer to rule out possibilities.

I can say that I do feel better as my shortness of breath is nearly gone. I am trying to walk, but I need someone to walk with me as I cannot go unassisted, and it is hard to find staff free to do that. I walk back and forth in my room a bit, but I have to hold onto the wall, and they don’t really like that as it is not assisted and not as stable as when I use a walker. The swelling in my limbs is greatly reduced, so I can see visibly the changes resulting from my taking the Lasix®. They are also making adjustments to all my medications to ensure they are all optimal for what I need now.

So for now, I am here for at least another day. At least, weather-wise I am not missing much. We have had a series of uncharacteristically dreary and cool days with today being quite foggy. Maybe by the time I go home the sunshine will return.

5 6 7 8
© 2004–12 Donna Peach. All rights reserved.


11 responses to “UPDATE day 6 admit: rollercoaster ride continues

  1. There is always sunshine where YOU are! I hope the procedure is early int he day and that you will be allowed to go home right after that! And tell them you will be less crabby if they let you sleep for those 8 hours of NPO! LOL!! Hugs.

  2. I hear lots of positive news in this post, Donna! Look how many areas you’ve improved in? That’s great! It does make sense to try & find the root cause of your fever. As far as walking, can you use the walker by yourself? Even if you walk out of your room and go a few feet down the hall, I think that would be good for you.


  3. Maybe they have found your cause of fever. You will know tomorrow and you are right to accept the fact that one more day might give you answers that you are looking for. Prayers and hugs as always.

  4. Hola, dear Donna. I am sending you the calmness of our surroundings, the patience of it’s people, and much love.

  5. Thinking of you with respect and love. Praying for the “peace that passes all understanding”.

  6. Looks like it’s snowing in here!!! Or am I cwazy??? 🙂
    I love the comments made here, as I also see lots of good news in this post, too…Always praying for continued strength in body, mind and spirit 🙂 Smile lovey…you are beautiful!!

  7. Hang in there Donna, just like life…it’s one day at a time. I hope they can get to the bottom of it all soon and you can get back to treatment.

  8. Dearest Donna ,

    I just want to encourage you to continue to press on ,,,,,,if you live each day
    at a time it will not seem like a lifetime of challenges which you are well entitled to feel right now. You are our”warrior princess”. I hope that puts a smile on your face . I don’t usually post but I am following your progress oftentimes too full emotionally just thinking of what you are going through.
    I am myself going through the metastatic journey and It is already a roller coaster emotionally. Enough of me though………..wish you and family, strength and continue to trust the true Vine,we are the branches and he
    is giving you the strength and sustenance to be positive.
    I’m praying that God will continue to guide your doctors to the right solution.

    Chyna (((:::::::::::::

  9. My best wishes that you will be home with your feet up, relaxing and enjoying the view before dinner tomorrow.Good to hear that the shortness of breath is better as well as the swelling. Love and hug’s

  10. Just want to say we love you peachy lady

  11. I am glad they are making sure they have checked out why you have these fevers so you don’t end up back in the hospital. Still sorry though you have to spend another night there and nothing to eat or drink past midnight. I hope they do the procedure early. As always sending my favorite dancing lady and Marvin hugs and prayers. XoXoXo-Susan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s